How is the procedure performed?
surgical insertion of an adjustable gastric band is often referred to as
a lap band procedure or band placement. First, a small incision (typically
less than 1.25 cm or 0.5 in.) is made near the belly button. Carbon Dioxide (a gas that occurs naturally in the body) is introduced
into the abdomen to
create a work space for the surgeon. Then a small laparoscopic camera is placed
through the incision into the abdomen. The camera sends a picture of the
stomach and abdominal cavity to a video monitor.
It gives the surgeon a good view of the key structures in the abdominal cavity.
A few additional, small incisions are made in the abdomen. The surgeon watches
the video monitor and works through these small incisions using instruments
with long handles to complete the procedure. The surgeon creates a small,
circular tunnel behind the stomach, inserts the gastric band through the
tunnel, and locks the band around the stomach. Clinical studies of laparoscopic (minimally
invasive) bariatric surgery patients found that they felt better, spent more
time doing recreational and physical activities, benefited from enhanced
productivity and economic opportunities, and had more self-confidence than they
did prior to surgery.
Day 1 - Arrival in airport or designated location.
Transportation to hospital. Pre-Op testing and consultation. Spend night in
Day 2 – Surgery day,
recovery in hospital
Day 3 - Patient
eligible to go to hotel for recovery, physical therapy begins
therapy can be done both by yourself or by a therapist, this will depend on
what you’d prefer would be best for you. Our surgical team will instruct you how
to do physical therapy and we will provide you with a guideline.
Day 4 – Patient is
eligible to go back home if patient desires to continue physical therapy in his
local community. If patient desired to do physical therapy in Mexicali we can
coordinate his/her transportation to our physical therapy center.
NOTE: Please keep in
mind, all ground transporation while recovering in Mexicali for physical
therapy or doctor appointments are provided by Family Hospital at no extra
1. Request a Quote. Browse our website and contact us. You will automatically receive an email that will explain to you the next steps. A case manager will contact you within 24 hours to begin the approval.
2. Send Medical Records. You will automatically receive a link to fill out your medical questionnaire, and it is likely that your case manager will request previous medical records, pictures or any other test that will relate to your final quote and details.
3. Approval and Itinerary Plan. Your case manager will send you “the final quote and detail” description of your travel trip.
4. The arrival. As a patient we promise to provide round trip transportation from San Diego and Yuma, AZ and any área within 130 miles radius from Mexicali. The exact time of your consultation or surgery can change to our doctor’s schedule, but we will notify in advance.
5. Recovery. Travel itinerary will consist of having you stay in the hospital or/and hotel, but this will depend on your particular surgical request and case.
After Surgery Indications
- Take your medications prescribed by the surgeon.
- In case of fever, vomiting, nausea, bleeding, liquid getting out of the incision or if the incision is opening, and deep pain contact your doctor.
- Moderate exercise or physical activity 3-4 weeks after the surgery.
- Clean the wound with soap and water daily.
- Do not smoke for at least 3 weeks.
- Do not lift heavy objects
- Follow the Dietary guidelines provided by the doctor.
1. Is there any before surgery indications? Yes, you must follow a diet before getting into surgery and some other indications. Please contact your case manager.
2. When is it safe to full recovery has been completed? After 3 months
3. How soon will the weight loss begin? Immediately, but you should follow the dietary instructions of our surgeons.
4. Can I ever go back to the same weight? In a very small percentage it could happen.