How is Gastric Sleeve surgery performed at Family Hospital?
Since 2006, our surgeons have performed thousands of Gastric Sleeves to patients all over Canada, US, Mexico, Europe, and Oceana. The surgery is performed under General Anesthesia and it takes approximately 1 hour. Our team will begin by sanitizing your entire body and organizing the preparations. The surgery is performed laparoscopically and there is a maximum of 6 incisions in your abdominal area, each approximately 1/2-3/4 of an inch wide. The scarring in the incisions will vanish visibility with time but it can take over a year. Before finishing the surgery, a leakage checkup is performed carefully following by closing you up, finalizing the intervention. Considering you will be left with 15-20% of its previous size, It's important to follow a liquid diet before and after the surgery allowing a smoother digestion to the new stomach. Full instructions will be provided prior to departure
Itinerary example of your Medical Travel for Gastric Sleeve
Day 1 - Pick up in San Diego, CA or Yuma, AZ or anywhere within 130 miles of Mexicali. Transportation provided to Hospital de la Familia in Mexicali BC Mexico
where Check-in takes place followed by Pre-Operative Tests & Consultation. Overnight in Hospital stay ( 1st night )
Day 2- Surgery Day ( Exact time will be determined upon your arrival ). Rest in Hospital stay ( 2nd night )
Day 3- Patient eligible to go to Hotel after 3 PM and/or once Full Clearance is provided by Specialist.
Transportation provided to Hotel by our private driver.
Day 4- Eligible to go fly back home in the afternoon or evening. Transportation to airport provided by Hospital
* Itineraries are subject to change depending on your particular circumstances.
1. Request a Quote. Browse our website and contact us. You will automatically receive an email that will explain to you the next steps. A case manager will contact you within 24 hours to begin the approval.
2. Send Medical Records. You will automatically receive a link to fill out your medical questionnaire, and it is likely that your case manager will request previous medical records, pictures or any other test that will relate to your final quote and details.
3. Approval and Itinerary Plan. Your case manager will send you “the final quote and detail” description of your travel trip.
4. The arrival. As a patient, we promise to provide round-trip transportation from San Diego and Yuma, AZ and any área within 130 miles radius from Mexicali upon your request. The exact time of your consultation or surgery can change to our doctor’s schedule, but we will notify in advance.
5. Recovery. Travel itinerary will consist of having you stay in the hospital or/ and hotel, but this will depend on your particular surgical case and request.
After Surgery Indications
- Take your medications prescribed by the surgeon.
- In case of fever, vomiting, nausea, bleeding, liquid getting out of the incision or if the incision is opening, and deep pain contact your doctor.
- Moderate exercise or physical activity 3-4 weeks after the surgery.
- Follow the After surgery Diet instructions
- Clean the wound with soap and water daily.
- The stitches will most likely dissolved unless it we used a different material, we will notify you to remove them after 7-10 days.
- Do not smoke for at least 4 weeks.
- Do not lift heavy objects- Follow the dietary guidelines provided by the doctor.
FAQ's1. Do I need to diet before having the surgery? Yes, you need to follow a liquid diet at least 1 week before your surgery. This is to shrink
the liver which will provide an easier access and a clearer visibility for the specialists during surgery.
2. Can I eat anything I want after the surgery? No, you must follow a healthy balance diet.
3. What happens if there is any leakage or complications after the surgery? Leakages are extremely rare at the Family Hospital ( les than 1%). However we will go back to the operating room to close the leakage. Additional surgical fees may apply.
4. What can I do to avoid getting an infection? You can start by choosing a certified hospital and surgeon as in Family hospital, and take the antibiotics prescribe by the doctor. Infections are rare for Gastric Sleeves.
5. Can I get a discount if a bring a friend? Yes! you should contact your Case Manager for more details.