How is the procedure performed?
Gastric Balloons are inserted under sedation in a procedure which takes 20 to 30 minutes. It is a relatively minor procedure, but it may take your stomach a little while to get used to the balloon. You will usually be able to go home the same day, or the day after the balloon has been inserted. In a small number of cases, patients may not be able to tolerate the balloon for the full 6 month period and when this happens, it will need to be removed early. There is a possibility this may happen in the first few days after the balloon is placed, if side effects (including nausea and vomiting) do not resolve or are worse than anticipated.Having a gastric balloon inserted at the Family Hospital l means you will be treated by an experienced specialist who will discuss your options. Our team of neurologists, specialists, and nurses will look after you throughout your stay and provide full support and advice. Feel confident, you are in safe hands by choosing Hospital de la Familia as your Endoscopic Gastric Ballon Placement center.
Day 1 - Arrive in San Diego CA, Yuma AZ ( Ground Transportation available upon request ). Otherwise, you can arrive directly at the Family Hospital.
Check-in & Screening followed by surgery. Rest in Hospital
Day 2- Follow up consultation post-surgery, Eligable to go to Hotel
Day 3 - Patient is eligible to fly back home. We do recommend staying 1 extra night if you feel extreme discomfort
1. Request a Quote. Browse our website and contact us. You will automatically receive an email that will explain to you the next steps. A case manager will contact you within 24 hours to begin the approval.
2. Send Medical Records. You will automatically receive a link to fill out your medical questionnaire, and it is likely that your case manager will request previous medical records, pictures or any other test that will relate to your final quote and details.
3. Approval and Itinerary Plan. Your case manager will send you “the final quote and detail” description of your travel trip.
4. The arrival. As a patient we promise to provide round trip transportation from San Diego and Yuma, AZ and any área within 130 miles radius from Mexicali. The exact time of your consultation or surgery can change to our doctor’s schedule, but we will notify in advance.
5. Recovery. Travel itinerary will consist of having you stay in the hospital for several nights follow by a hotel for the remaining of your experience.
After Surgery Indications
- Take your medications prescribed by the surgeon.
- Moderate exercise or physical activity 1 week after the surgery.
- Do not lift heavy objects for 3 weeks
- Follow the dietary guidelines provided by the doctor.
- If vomited, nausea, or extreme pain is still felt after 4 nights of surgery, it is likely that the ballon is not adapting and we may have to remove it.
1. How long should the balloon stay in the stomach? For no more than 1 year ( Spatz ), you may need a filler after 6 months.
2. How do I know if I am a good candidate for the surgery? If you have a BMI 35-39.9, and if you experience sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure or some other diseases related to your weight. Another reason is if you were trying to lose weight for a period of time, and you were not successful.
3. Is the surgery reversible? Yes, it is reversible. You go back to the operating room, and the surgeon just removes the balloon endoscopically.
4. I am planning to get pregnant the next year. Is this surgery recommendable for me? it is not good for your baby's health having the ballon while pregnant, but we can remove the balloon before getting pregnant or as soon as you know you are pregnant. Contact your case manager for more details.