Our vertebral column is formed by individual bones called vertebra. In the surgery, the surgeon replaces one of the vertebra or intervertebral disk for a mechanical device. The disk will give more space between vertebrae. It will relieve back pain in the lumbar or cervical part or your vertebral column. If you are experiencing back pain for more than six months, neck pain, headache, weakness on arms or shoulders you should contact our case manager for more information as you may qualify for Total Disk Replacement surgery.
How is Total Disk Replacement performed at Family Hospital?
Total Disk replacement is done under general anesthesia. If the surgeon is going to replace a cervical disk he is going to make an incision on the front or side of the neck. The surgeon moves to the side other structures in the neck until he finds the disk he is going to replace. The cervical vertebra or disk is removed, and they replace it with the prosthetic ( M6 Spinal Kinetics is the most common used prosthetic ). For lumbar disk replacement, the incisión is made in the abdomen moving all organs to the side. Surgeon replace the lumbar vertebra, and replace it with the artificial disk. The incisión is close with dissolvable sutures.
1. Request a Quote. Browse our website and contact us. You will automatically receive an email that will explain to you the next steps. A case manager will contact you within 24 hours to begin the approval.
2. Send Medical Records. You will automatically receive a link to fill out your medical questionnaire, and it is likely that your case manager will request previous medical records, pictures or any other test that will relate to your final quote and details.
3. Approval and Itinerary Plan. Your case manager will send you “the final quote and detail” description of your travel trip.
4. The arrival. As a patient we promise to provide round trip transportation from San Diego and Yuma, AZ and any área within 130 miles radius from Mexicali. The exact time of your consultation or surgery can change to our doctor’s schedule, but we will notify in advance.
5. Recovery. Travel itinerary will consist of having you stay in the hospital or /and hotel, but this will depend on your particular surgical case and request.
Itinerary Day 1 - Pick up patient at airport, transportation provided to hospital, Pre-Ops & Consultations. Day 2 - Surgery day. Recovery at Hospital Day 3- Eligable to go Hotel Day 4- Eligible to recover at Hotel Day 5- Possibly eligible to fly back home under certain restrictions.