is the Gastric Bypass? A
Gastric by-pass surgery is a a popular weight loss surgery to treat morbid
obesity, high blood pressure, or type 2-diabetes. The surgery consists of
changing the pattern where food is digested by creating a small stomach pouch
and re-routing the process straight to the small intestines. Since the stomach
and large intestines are completely by-passed, you will feel less hungry
therefore eat significantly less calories.
How is procedure performed? The surgery can be done both laparoscopically or open surgery. This will depend on your body mass index. If the laparoscopic instruments are long enough to reach your stomach area it will be done laparoscopically but if your body mass index does not permit the instruments to reach your stomach it will most likely be done open surgery. Surgery takes approximately 3 hours to be completed and it is done under General Anesthesia.
Material / Equipment HD laparoscopic towers, Titanium Johnson & Johnson Staples ( FDA approved )
Example of your Itinerary Day 1 - Pick up patient at airport, transportation provided to the hospital. Pre-op testing performed followed by a consultation with the surgeon. Overnight stay at hospital ia n private hospital room.
Day 2 - Surgery day. The patient will wake up in the recovery room after surgery and will stay in the recovery room for a minimum of 5 hours. Once the anesthesia is worn off and the recovery checklist is finished, we swing back to recover at a private hospital room Day 3- Recovery in hospital. Post-op testings performed to make sure all is well. Day 4- Recovery in Hotel begins, you may continue recovering at the Hospital for an extra fee & depending on room capacity Day 5- Patient can be eligiblele to go back home Transportation provided back to the airport if necessary
Next steps1. Request a Quote. Browse our website and contact us. You will automatically receive an email that will explain to you the next steps. A case manager will contact you within 24 hours to begin the approval.
2. Send Medical Records. You will automatically receive a link to fill out your medical questionnaire. If necessary, your case manager will request medical records, pictures or anything else required for your final approval and details.
3. Approval and Itinerary Plan. Your case manager will send you your “ Final Quote Assesment ” description of your travel trip.
4. The arrival. If traveling by air to San Diego, Yuma, or a Surrounding airport, we are happy to arrange Private Ground Transporation for your pick up & drop off once your return back is scheduled. If you plan to drive to San Diego CA, Yuma AZ, Palm Springs CA, or Calexico CA we are happy to arrange pick/up and drop off as well. Discuss your travel situation with your Case Manager so we can provide the best transportation solution for you.
5. Recovery. Travel itinerary will consist of having you stay in the hospital or /and hotel, but this will depend on your particular surgical case and request.
After Surgery Indications
-Take your medications prescribed by the surgeon.
- In case of fever, vomiting, nausea, bleeding, liquid getting out of the incision or if the incision is opening, and deep pain contact your doctor.
- Moderate exercise or physical activity 3-4 weeks after the surgery.
- Clean the wound with soap and water daily.- Do not smoke for at least 3 weeks.
- Do not lift heavy objects.- Follow the dietary instructions provided by the surgeon.
- Follow the After surgery Diet Guidelines provided to you prior to your hospital departure. ( A Liquid diet must be followed after surgey as well )
1. Do I need to diet before having the surgery? Yes, it is an special diet, and you have to follow it approx 1-2 week before the surgery.
2. Can I eat anything I want after the surgery? No, you have to follow a diet for a couple weeks post surgery. Instruction will be provided before you leave.
3. What happens if there is any leakage or complications after the surgery?Leakage is extremely rare at the Family Hospital. However, we will go back to the operating room to close the leakage ( additional fees may apply )
4. How soon will the weight loss begin?Immediately, but you should follow the dietary instructions of our surgeons.
5. Can I ever go back to the same weight? In a very small percentage it could happen.